Desert Island DVDs

Over at the Fandango Groovers Movie Blog, Andy has challenged movie bloggers and bloggers who love movies to come up with the eight movies they’d want if they were stuck on a desert island and somehow miraculously had a working DVD player. You can find a list of participants here, along with Andy’s own picks here.

When considering the films I’d want, I found I wasn’t particularly interested in the films I consider to be critical bests so much as movies I can watch over and over again.  So, while some of these movies might not stand up as the greatest films of all times, for me, they do stand up as some of the most watchable.  And if you’re stuck on a desert island with no end in sight, I think that’s what matters.  In no particular order, here are my picks.

Elizabethtown: Depending on whom you ask, this movie’s either a guilty pleasure or just a pleasure.  Either way, it’s a movie I’ve come back to again and again.  And its theme of dealing with failure seems pretty appropriate for being stuck on a desert island.

The Princess Bride: Probably don’t need to explain this one.  Whether or not you’re a fan, you probably already at least know how fans feel about it. I’m a fan.

Easy Virtue: I’ve talked at length about my love of this movie. It’s layered, it’s funny, it’s dramatic, it’s poignant, and it’s got a great soundtrack, too. I’ve watched it something like five times in the past year, so  I think it’s a safe desert island pick.

Lilo & Stitch: My second favorite Disney movie of all time.  The quirky humor is right up my alley, so much so that I named one of my dogs after Lilo.  Her name is Lilo.  She’s awesome. So’s this movie.  It’s not your typical animated Disney fairytale, so, if you’ve been steering clear of it because of that, stop.  See it.  You might want to take it to your own desert island some day.

Disney’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame: My favorite Disney movie of all time. Perhaps the darkest of all animated Disney tales, it also has an extremely underrated soundtrack, and it sports some of the most gorgeous animation of the modern era.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl: This fulfills the eye-candy requirements for my island, and it also provides some inspiration for how to get off said island. As a bonus, it can act as a sympathetic companion when I run out of rum.

Now, I’m sort of cheating for my last one, but since they were filmed all at once, I think it’s OK to compromise and count it as my last two.  So, for my last choice, I choose…

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (preferably the extended editions with appendices): For the record, if I had to choose two of these films, I’d choose The Two Towers and The Return of the King, but I’d really like to not have to make that choice.  I mean, come on.  I’m already stuck on a desert island.  Cut me a little slack.  These movies hit all the targets at varying times: funny, epic, gorgeous, inspiring, etc., etc.  Plus, they take up a nice, big chunk of desert island life, and that’s probably a good thing.

Those are my picks. What are yours?

Advertisements

18 thoughts on “Desert Island DVDs

1. mcarteratthemovies says:

“The Princess Bride” + “Elizabethtown” = awesomeness. Great picks. You’ve got the chick flick/coming-of-age angles covered.

• ditty1013 says:

I figured, no guarantees that I’ll have any real-life eye candy to keep me company, so I’d better take care of it from the cinematic side! I did skew a little chick-flick, but I make no apologies, seeing as how I am, in fact, a chick. 🙂

2. Mad Hatter says:

Lots of levity in this list, what with Pirates, Princess, and a pair of Disneys. (PS – I’ve always believed that of all their films, HUNCHBACK held the mark for Disney’s best artwork).

I could cry foul over including the entire LOTR trilogy, but you’re right – they were all filmed concurrently, and thus “technically” one film.

PS – Given your love for LILO & STITCH, I’m curious – Have you seen HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON yet? It was directed by the L&S team, and in many ways Toothless (the main dragon) will remind you of Stitch. Check it out!

• ditty1013 says:

I did see it, for the very reason that it was written & directed by the same team, and I loved it. It’s the most enjoyable (but not the best) movie I’ve seen so far this year.

And I tried to ease the cheating by counting the trilogy as two of my picks instead of one, at least! 🙂

3. Ross McD says:

Ah, the old tying seaturtles together trick? Good call.
    That scene where Lilo puches that kid in the face is perhaps the funniest in Disney’s grand catalogue

4. Steve says:

An awesome list! I have been struggling to come up with a good reason for why I didn’t include The Princess Bride on my own list, and I’m still coming up empty. It is the perfect thing for these purposes. Elizabethtown, eh? I have seen the flick a number of times, but it always seems to happen by some weird coincidence like it playing on a plane or latenight Encore Avenue – I could watch it anytime, but I put it on the low end of Cameron Crowe’s body of work.

Lilo & Stitch! That was the first film I ever brought my nieces to. Plenty of Elvis Presley, and voices from one of the Kids in the Hall, and even Ving Rhames! Great stuff – great island watching!

Excellent list!

• ditty1013 says:

I think my love for ELIZABETHTOWN is in part due to me finding at the perfect time in my life. It’s not a perfect movie, but it speaks to me, personally, more than ALMOST FAMOUS which is probably a better film.

And yes, I figured LILO & STITCH would be exactly the sort of quirky, island-themed fun I’d want for my own island. 🙂

5. Danielle B says:

I still need to see Lilo & Stitch, I can’t believe I still haven’t seen it yet. I think I’d take That Thing You Do. It’s hard to say what else, but probably every movie that they create for the Narnia series would also be on there.

• ditty1013 says:

I can’t believe you haven’t seen it either! We need to fix that ASAP. 🙂 PRINCE CASPIAN nearly made my list, but it lost out to the other epic adventure movies, the LOTR trilogy & PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN. I’ll just have to swim over to your island for that one!

6. Ronan says:

Really want to see The Princess Bride now.

My boss mentioned it in work today and everyone keeps going on about how great it is. I feel like I’m missing out. Wish I’d included it on my list.

Hey, maybe we could get Tom Hanks to fed-ex it from your Island to mine?

• ditty1013 says:

I can’t believe you haven’t seen THE PRINCESS BRIDE! Not everyone loves it (Danielle, above, for instance, is inexplicably not a fan despite otherwise good taste in movies), but it’s one everyone should see. My sister boldly called it the CASABLANCA of the ’80s, and, if you examine the plot and the themes, she’s not necessarily too far off despite a pretty major difference in tone.

Anyway, now that I’ve waxed neurotic, I’ve threatened to swim over to about ten other islands, so you’re welcome to drop on by mine if Mr. Hanks isn’t available. 🙂

7. Ronan says:

Wow, that is a bold statement, I’ll just have to check it out for myself then.

I would ask Tom to swim over to you, but he’s busy re-inflating Wilson.

🙂

8. beamup says:

Hmmm–I think my list would include (not in any particular order):
    1. To Kill a Mockingbird (favorite book and one of my favorite movies)
    2. Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (just because!)
    3. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
    4. Benny and Joon (love Johnny Depp in that one, both hysterical and poignant at the same time)
    5. While You were Sleeping (Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman–perfect together!)
    6. Lake Placid (can’t decide if they were trying to make a “real” horror picture or tongue in cheek, but Oliver Plat,t, Brendan Gleeson, and Betty White are great)
    7. The Muppet Christmas Carol (Gonzo and Rizzo and Michael Caine)
    8. Scrooge (with Albert Finney–amazing performance and wonderful music),
    9. Firefly (because my eye candy is Nathan Fillion!)
    10. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (and I’d sneak in all the others if possible!)