First things first, at about 11:30 p.m., which was approximately 15 and a half hours into our shoot, we somehow managed to come up with a name to replace the sort-of-awful THE HUMAN STATUE. So, from here on out, I’ll be referring to this little creative endeavor as STILL, which we thought was pretty clever since it’s a series of stills, and it’s about a human statue who must remain, you know, still. That was the logic when we were all about to drop, but I think it holds up now, too.
As for where things are now, a couple of weeks ago I finished sorting through all the images from our shoot, doing a broad “edit” of the shots I thought I might want to use for the film. We ended up with close to 1200 images, and I sorted them into scene- and content-related categories.
I got the proofs for about half the scenes yesterday, so this morning I set to narrowing them down the shots that will actually go into the film along with the order.
Here’s that process:
- Write image number corresponding to file names on backs of photos.
- Lay all photos face up.
- Freak out a little because you have no idea where to begin.
- Remember you have storyboards; get them.
- Remember you have a shooting script; get that, too.
- Use storyboards and script to pick and order photos into what will someday be a scene.
- Flip photos over & write down the numbers so you know which ones to use later.
- Remember there are still many scenes more to go.
- Get back to work. (Or write a blog post instead.)
So that’s how the next couple weeks of my life will go.
Despite the still-long road ahead, it is pretty exciting to see it starting to come together into something that might someday resemble a film.